Once a natural tooth is lost, it is easy to become frustrated about how your smile may look. Fortunately, there are several ways to improve your smile’s appearance. One of those options is to use a tooth implant, a permanent, highly effective way of creating a permanent structure to replace the missing tooth. For many, dental implant services are the best possible option. At Lovett Dental Jersey Village, we can help you determine if this is the best way to restore your smile. Contact us today at 281-890-5002 to learn more.
How Does a Single-Tooth Implant Work to Replace Your Missing Tooth?
A dentist places a dental implant into the gums located just under the missing tooth and positions a titanium screw into the jawbone in this area. Once in place, the bone grows around the implant, creating a very durable structure. Once this heals, which could take a few weeks, the implant is just as strong, if not stronger, than a tooth root.
Usually, the procedure requires a second procedure in which a post is added to the implant. The dentist places the crown on top. The crown works as an artificial tooth. A cosmetic dentist may work with you to ensure the tooth is colored, sized, and shaped like your other teeth, which creates a realistic look for your smile.
Is a Dental Implant a Good Option?
Every situation is different, but there are a few key reasons why dental implants are the right choice for replacing a missing tooth. For many, there are clear benefits to this type of replacement:
- Implants last a long time. They do not require any additional treatment for years, in most cases.
- Once in place, the implant creates a strong bite, much like that of a natural tooth.
- It is hard to notice the artificial tooth. You may have to tell people is there for them to know.
- Implants work to create improved smiles – you may love your smile again.
- Filling in the gap left by the missing tooth, implants also work to preserve the gums and minimize the risk of early tooth decay.
Do you need dental implants? If so, contact Lovett Dental Jersey Village today at 281-890-5002.
When Are Dental Implants Not the Right Option?
Sometimes there are risks to installing a single-tooth implant. You and your dentist will discuss these risks during a consultation. After an x-ray and dental examination, you may learn that you cannot have an implant. This may be due to various reasons such as:
- Not having enough bone in the jaw area (bone grafting may be able to fix this)
- Lacking healthy gums (if gingivitis or periodontal disease are present, treatment for that may come first)
- Being unfit for the surgical procedure
- Infections present in the gum, teeth, or other tissues in the mouth
In some situations, people also need to consider their overall goals. This treatment is an invasive procedure. For some people, there are reservations. If you do not qualify for this type of solution, there are other dental implant options available. You may also need to have a bridge placed. This can help to hold a crown in place over the opening but does not provide the same level of strength as a single-tooth implant.
In all cases, the process starts with a consultation with our team of professionals. You’ll get all of the information you need to decide if this is the proper process for you when you come in for a consultation.
Schedule a Consultation at Lovett Dental Jersey Village Today
You don’t have to decide whether or not a tooth implant is right for you just yet. The better option is to come in to see our dental implant specialists discuss your case. Call Lovett Dental Jersey Village today for a consultation appointment at 281-890-5002 or reach out to us online for more information.